Skip To ContentSkip To Content

    Nathan Hale Running Start Information

    Running Start Presentation:  Running Start for the Class of 2021 and 2022PDF

    General Information

    Running Start is a program for High School Juniors and Seniors to take college classes at Washington two year colleges and earn high school and college credit at the same time. Tuition is free for a maximum of 15 credits per quarter in college-level courses numbered 100 or higher. However, the number of college credits each student may take free of tuition costs depends on how many classes the student is concurrently taking at the high school. Students are responsible for tuition for pre-college courses (numbering below 100) and any credits that exceed their allowable limit. Students are responsible for the cost of books and transportation; however, fee waivers for these expenses (not including transportation) are available for students who qualify for free or reduced lunch.

    Please Note: Running Start students must take full responsibility for keeping up-to-date on what's happening at Nathan Hale High School, including important dates and deadlines (AP/PSAT/SAT Tests, Senior Prom, Ordering Graduation Supplies, Graduation Rehearsal Dates and Times, Senior Meetings and any other Senior related events).

    Students should sign up to receive the Daily Bulletin or read the NHHS Daily Bulletin Online to stay informed of upcoming events and deadlines. Also visit the NHHS Calendar as well as the NHHS News Page for more information.

    Getting Started with Running Start - Covid-19 Update for Fall 2020

    1. Visit the website for the community college you plan on attending (see list below). Look at their requirements for Running Start and application process.
    2. View the Nathan Hale Counseling Running Start information Presentation at the top of this page and virtually attend or view an information session at the college you plan to attend.
    3. Provide Signed Parent/Guardian MOU and proof of placement into college-level English and/or Math to Ms. Takahashi.
    4. Obtain your transcript, credit sheet, and planning form from Ms. Takahashi. Once you have completed the steps up to this point, you will be provided with a link to a survey. Once survey is complete, let Ms. Takahashi know and she will connect you to a school counselor.
    5. Attend an advising session with a school counselor to complete your Enrollment Verification Form (EVF), and to complete your high school plan.
    6. Complete Running Start registration at the college. This process will be different for each school. See their website for more information.

    Here are some important questions to talk over with your family:

    1. Would you like to be part-time or full-time?
    2. If full-time, would like to meet your high school graduation requirements and graduate from Hale?
    3. If full-time, would like to earn your Associates from the college and not complete your high school graduation requirements? Which Associates degree are you interested in and why?
    4. What are your personal goals for doing running start, and what are the reasons that you feel ready to do this, considering pros and cons? Take some time to talk with your family about how this would affect your life as a student (transportation, sports, performing arts, leadership, social life, etc.). Check out the class schedules online to get an idea of the courses offered.
    5. Which college would you like to attend and why?
    6. Finally, please consider how you would react if classes ended up being online in the fall. Generally, we do not recommend first time Running Start students to take online classes.

    Additional Important Information

    • Hale class schedule takes priority over Running Start schedules.
    • Students should sign up for the Daily Bulletin to receive notifications about Hale bell schedule changes and other important school news. Sign up here: Daily Bulletin
    • Students are responsible for their own transportation.
    • All Running Start college credits will be added to the high school transcript.
    • Students must meet with Hale Counselors every quarter to make sure they are meeting their graduation requirements.
    • If you earn college grades below 2.0 you will be placed on Academic Probation and given one additional quarter to improve your grade before you lose your standing.
    • Students are responsible for withdrawal/dropping a college class from Running Start.

    Running Start Information Contacts:

    North Seattle College

    North Seattle Testing Center

    Shoreline Community College

    Shoreline Testing Center

    Seattle Central College

    Seattle Central Testing Center

    Cascadia College

    Cascadia Testing Center

    Bellevue College

    Bellevue Testing Center